Adventure Motorcycle Western Europe – The beginning.

Posted Video Blog

Hello, My name is Rob Mason and I honestly believe that the things we do will shape us, teach us and more importantly give us perspective. The Western Europe adventure was the first Aim For The Horizon story and is where this hole journey started. From complete beginner to the top of a mountain, tests, breakdowns and rebuilds, Adventure Motorcycle Western Europe has the lot.

02X 03X Dean Wales Lift Span Mounts 4

It was in 2008 when my sister Simone started dating Dean and my first impressions was of a man who had everything. He lived in an amazing house, drove a beautiful car and had an excellent job. Being one of the most personable people I’ve met he soon became an extended member of my family. Even with the addition of Dean it was only small, in fact the only direct family I have left is my mother and sister. Although small in numbers our lives and our losses had made us a resilient team, so when Dean’s life started taking a downward turn it was a relief he had us to lean on.

I won’t go into detail, but all the things which gave Dean his energy slowly became the things that worried him the most. The things he held most dear and relied on for future security all crumbled around him. He could have done nothing to prevent what was happening but he still took all of this as a personal failure. He had spent years trying to keep so many others happy he’d forgotten about himself.

Now a part of a close family Dean and I had become good friends and I visited him regularly on the Honda Africa Twin. I’d had the motorcycle a few years and even with its bumps and bruises it was still my prized possession. In fact it was these bumps and bruises Dean and I talked about most. It was whilst talking about the bikes road trip scars I first found out Dean was a closet biker. In fact it was the one thing he’d always wanted to do that life had stopped him doing. Dean had lost a lot, so I thought it was time he started replacing these things with new experiences and now I knew he was always wanted to ride a motorcycle it wasn’t hard to persuade him to come on a trip.

I’m not a psychologist or doctor, I’m an engineer so I didn’t know how to fix Dean. I just wanted to help him do something he always wanted to do. But I had no idea how much of an adventure this would be for both of us.

From here I’ll let Dean tell you the story. Thank you for watching and I hope you enjoy the feature length episode.

I would like to thank the following companies for all their support during the making of Aim For The Horizon – Western Europe…

Goldstar starcom1 logo-Revit logo-all-outdoor  hagon GARMIN feridax continental ASimagesTWXIJ4RH

Comments (12)
  1. RACHEL MACFARLANE August 2, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Dean you have a wonderful gift of inspiration,which you spread around lavishly and it makes me very happy to see you living life to the full. Keep your wheels grounded but let your spirit soar…!
    Luv and happiness always
    Rach x

2. Hazel Edwards August 2, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Stumbled across this amazing story of two people, their relationship and the journey they undertook together.
    I know Dean from the TV and have met him on a couple of occasions at the NEC. What this video blog shows is that underneath all of us, there is a vulnerability and we spend too much time worrying about other peoples perception of us.
    Life is too short. We only get one shot at it and every opportunity should count.
    Thank you for sharing this unique adventure. I enjoyed every minute and hope there is more to come. Xx

3. Elizabeth Lumley August 3, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Second comment, hope I can remember the first!
    Wow!! It blew us away! What an amazing video! Great camera work. Truly amazing. Fantastic journey of experiences.
    Elizabeth & Geoffrey
    Xx

4. kitty davies August 3, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Great inspiration ,great guy to watch on tv. Live life to the full. Brilliant story.

5. Kairen Humphreys August 3, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Wow, was riveted with your journey from start to end… very inspiring and thought provoking, my dream has always to been to pass my bike test, life has gotten in the way each time, now im 42…its about time I did it before I booking a bus pass!Partner is a biker,its in our lives already but this would be something else… Great watching your growth and hope the happy memories more than stay with you….. well done Dean, hope life has treated you more kindly since ;) x (oh, and dam you look good in bike gear, lucky mrs Wilson ;) lol)

6. Wendy Richardson August 7, 2014 at 10:32 am

Wow! Just watched the video it was amazing.So pleased you achieved all your goals and have hopefully inspired others to achieve theirs! The photography was brilliant and captured the whole adventure perfectly.Love watching you on TV as you always brighten up the day.George will be so proud of his dad when he comes to watch this.Wishing you all the best for the future . Wendy Richardson

7. James Owens October 2, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Well done guys – I own a digital motorcycle travel magazine called Motorcycle Explorer. The magazine is FREE as I believe in the free sharing of information and experience too. I’d be happy to run your story in the next issue due out December (October just got launched). With digital I can install your film directly into the pages with your story.

Let me know if you’re interested, you have my email james@motorcycleexplorermag.com

Thanks and again well done

James
    Editor
    Motorcycle Explorer Magazine

8. Paul Doolan October 4, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Nice journey for both you and the AT. I did pretty much the same alone through 11 countries over 10 days on my 97′ AT. My first heart attack inspired me and my second heart attack has inspired me to do Norway in 2015 alone on my R1150GSA. I’ll be 55 years young then. You have so many years ahead of you still, my heart and my soul goes out to all who find their way to their adventure as you did. Life is so bloody good isn’t it :-)

9. Nicky October 7, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Great film, I am a biker was also an instructor a few years back before having my children. Love your adventure and the friendship that shone through. Very inspiring. Just emailed to my son whose just passed his CBT three bikes in the family now. Keep on riding and keep smiling :)

10. Brett Donovan October 28, 2014 at 1:26 am

Thanks for sharing this guys. Loved the format, the personal side and I am really inspired – so much so I have bought a bike and started amassing my equipment!

11. Robert December 15, 2014 at 11:18 am

Fantastic! Great job guys, 1st class production.